Negotiating is Everything
SALARY | GENERAL TIPS (coming)
Our Top 10 Salary Negotiation Tips
Negotiation is so much more than asking for something. The list below includes our top 10 tips when it comes to perfecting your strategy.
- DO YOUR HOMEWORK
- Do the research to figure out what you’re worth on the market! You can locate key information from searching online and speaking to recruiters.
- DETERMINE YOUR ASK
- Spend some time asking yourself what you want and what you need. Culture may be more important than compensation, for instance.
- PRACTICE YOUR DELIVERY
- Role play in the mirror or with a friend. Practice adverse scenarios.
- CONFIDENCE IS KEY
- Do you believe you’re worth what you’re asking for?
- Employers want to keep you and will want to hire you if you’re at the offer stage!
- Employers expect a negotiation!
- HAVE A BACKUP PLAN
- Are you ready to walk away? If you have another offer lined up you are truly ready to negotiate!
- DRESS THE PART
- Dress for the job you want. This will help with your confidence as well.
- HAVE THE CONVERSATION
- Execute what you’ve prepared with full confidence!
- BE POSITIVE
- Reinforce why they want you. Express that you align with their culture, etc. Know your strengths!
- NEGOTIATE LIKE A CHAMP
- Don’t overshare. Like in poker, keep your cards close. HR won’t want to pay more than they need to.
- Use silence to your advantage. The first to speak loses.
- Ask for more than you want (within reason) so that you have room to negotiate.
- SLEEP ON IT
- Never agree on the spot! You’ll have a better perspective and more confidence in what you’re agreeing to if you wait to reply.
Looking for more guidance?
Our team of mentors are accessible to review email drafts and offer further support. We’re looking forward to meeting you.
Check out our community membership options.
More interested in e-learning (starts at $11/month)? Check out our webinar schedule here.